Brisbane: Cost of living - Part 2 (Groceries Only)
- Groceries - our budget is $150/week but we are always over the budget due to some things (hehe. things not in the budget and I admit it's a bad habit and now, I am rebalancing our budget.). We usually go to either Woolys or Coles. Sometimes we check out Aldi but only on household items. Our unit is quite far from Woolys and Coles but we have an IGA nearby where we only buy when we badly need something. We prefer buying our vegetables in Fresh Sensations because they have some asian vegetables like okra, ampalaya but they only have few outlets. That's why we always go to Westfield Chermside because they have Woolys, Coles, Aldi, Fresh Sensations and a fish market.
- Rice - we, filipinos, love rice! Rice is life!! We use Sunrice White Rice Calrose Medium Grain (they have other types like jasmine, basmati. Woolys and Coles have their own rice brands too and it's cheaper. We tried the Woolys long grain but was not happy so we chose Sunrice).
- Sunrice Medium Grain - regular price for a 10kg is $24 (Woolys) while a 5kg is $13 (Coles). Coles do not have a 10kg in their website and so with the 5kg in Woolys. To be able to buy it cheaper, we wait for a promotion especially the 1/2 price and buy in bulk online (we prefer Woolys). You can either pick it up or have it delivered. They had a promotion on their delivery when we first ordered (October 2018) where $50 above was free delivery and the rice (10kg) was on half price ($12), so we ordered 8pcs. We had our second order (January 2019) since it was on 42% sale ($14) so we added 3pcs only because it was a pick-up. They had no delivery promotion. Now (14/3/19), their rice is on 38% sale ($15) and maybe I'll add 2pcs only since we still have 5pcs.
- Meat and Seafood
- Pork - price ranges from $10-$20 but our budget is $30 due to we buy 1 unchopped meat and 1 loose. The unchopped meat is around $15-$20. Minced pork is $5.50/pack, ribs is around $10 for nilaga.
- Chicken - cheapest. Price ranges from $5-$10 at most for us. Chicken legs (good for 2 meals) costs less than $10 and so with the chicken wings. We usually buy those that are packed but you can buy in their meat section so you can mix.
- Beef - mmm I do not eat beef so we seldom buy. Haha. We just buy if my husband feels like eating. Pricey compared to pork and chicken but reasonable. As far as I can remember, it costs around $10 above/packet maybe.
- Seafood - very pricey. Woolys and Coles usually have the same seafood and it's not fresh. If you want a fresh one and maybe cheaper by cents only, you can go to Sunnybank and/or Morningside (Fish Factory). We only tried Sunnybank and bought salmon which cost us around $50 but that was good for 4 meals.
- Fish - since we seldom go to Sunnybank, we buy barramundi which costs only around $15-$20 for a whole fish, sardines cost around $10 below for 1kg but bony.
- Shrimp - pricey!! It costs around $25-$30 for 1kg
- Salmon - pricey too!! Haha the pack in coles costs $13 good for 1 meal.
- Mussels - around $10-$15 for 1kg
- Other Meat
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Fruits - usually costs around $5++.
- Vegetables - cheap. It costs at most $5 (Bokchoy or petchay costs $2.50-$3.50, packed carrots $1.50-$3, potato $3-$5 etc.)
- Canned Goods
- Spam - wait for the 1/2 price which costs $2.45 each
- Corned beef - we use Hamper which costs around $4.50 (sale). Regular price is $5.50
- Tuna/salmon - depends which brand is on sale. Haha. Costs aound $0.90-$2
- Sometimes we go to Hanaro Mart in Brisbane City Myer. They just opened recently. It is an Asian grocery store so we go there to buy tofu, taro jelly or tapioca pearls.
Rice - $12-$15 for 10kg (1/2 price). Regular price is $24 (Woolys)
Pork Meat - $30 (unchopped meat and 1 loose). Usually good for 2 weeks for us. (once/fortnight)
Chicken Meat - $10 (either chicken legs or wings. Chicken breast is a bit pricey but still on that price range.)
Beef - $12-$15
Fish - $15-$20
Other meat like sausages, ham, bacon - $10 each at most
Fruits - $5 each
Vegetables - $3-$5 each
Canned goods - $0.90-$5
*caveat. Prices may differ in other areas. Ours is based on the place we are currently residing and that is in Brisbane City. We usually do our grocery in Chermside or in the city.
*All those in blue are linked to their respective websites. Click for more information.